Showering on Starboard Tack, Racing Jeroboam, & Starving for Voltage
Third Beach Sakonnet River to Red Brook Pocasset (or not... again)
Bob awoke Linda abruptly Saturday morning at 0530 announcing that he would like to haul anchor and set sail. Linda fumbled to the cockpit in her PJs to steer Argon gently as Bob worked the windlass and we were off. We motored for just the first 45 minutes or so in to substantial chop as the current came in to the Sakonnet but we knew we'd be greeted with 10-14kt southerly winds in Buzzards Bay and a current in our favor for a nice 40nm sail. We had our sights on anchoring in another favorite harbor, Red Brook, by early afternoon. This would have been around 38nm distance.
|Sakonnet Light as we leave Third Beach (just east of Newport) banging in to chop and current before smoothing out once off the wind and in to a favorable current in Buzzards Bay.|
|Bob sporting his new Helly Hansen jacket as he tightens up the genoa in 16kt winds. The overcast skies and slightly chilly temps were actually a welcome reprieve from copious sunshine.|
|Starboard tack all day; several hours in to our sail with brisk winds continuing.|
|We bypassed our planned Pocassett / Red Brook anchorage and instead caught the current in the Cape Cod Canal|
|Cape Cod Bay side of the canal at Sandwhich. Still overcast and with excellent southerly winds 15-20kts.|
|Continuing to work the helm in Cape Cod Bay about 60nm in to our day.|
Although we preferred to anchor, we decided on the security of a mooring in this fairly deep harbor and to opt for a dry launch ride to land instead of a wet dinghy trip in the high winds. The wind was blowing near 20kts as we turned in to PTown Harbor, called for a ball, and fumbled a bit in the crowded mooring field near the breakwater. The launch driver saw us circling with uncertainty and offered us an alternative mooring that was a bit less crowded. Linda felt a bit deflated as it's just a mooring... we can certainly pick up a mooring even in high winds, right?!? We eventually got settled and secured with a double bridle.
The Mews Restaurant a bit north of the main tourist section of Commercial Street, we discussed options for the upcoming days and again examined wind and weather. We could take a chance on Thursday being good to sail back to Boston, or we could capitalize on Sunday's conditions and sail somewhere to the North Shore where Bob could settle in for his work days. We chose the latter and left early the next morning.
We departed PTown in some fog motoring in to the wind past Long Point. In addition to making swift headway in to the wind, we needed to run the diesel a bit as we have been struggling to keep our batteries charged sufficiently ever since leaving Sag Harbor about 10 days ago. More on this later.
|Still a bit foggy as we pass Race Point but clearer skies were not far off. This is also where we started to see some whales.|
|Linda's view skyward while relaxing on the fore deck after the fog had cleared.|
|Bob working the helm. Linda, well, not working.|
|Jeroboam is a Beneteau Oceanis 351 looking pretty with her spinnaker and stay sail.|
|We deployed Argon's spinnaker when the wind got around behind us more.|
Marblehead - Sailboat Heaven
Marblehead is a bit like a mini Newport with a tad less sailing cockiness (just a tad). Power boats are definitely the minority with most of the sparse engines working to deliver lobsters to all of us.
|Hundreds of kids out sailing dinghies for Junior Race Week in Salem Sound. This town endeavors to embed the sailing bug while they are very young.|
|Marblehead Harbor crowded with masts - a lovely sight.|
|Linda's home study area while Bob works below.|
|Another beautiful sunset set looking out towards Salem.|
|Marblehead Harbor abounds with stand up paddle boards, kayaks, and floating craft of all sorts.|
|Brenton Lochridge is the owner and lead instructor of Black Rock sailing school in Boston, Marblehead, Warwick RI and BVI. We have taken several sailing classes with Brenton over the years including ASA 104 Coastal Cruising, ASA 105 Navigation, and private docking lessons. We highly recommend Black Rock Sailing School!!|
Starving for Voltage
We mentioned a couple of posts ago about our rookie error mismanaging our electrical consumption. Ever since Sag Harbor we have struggled to keep the main battery at a reasonable charge and have resorted to running the engine simply to get the voltage up. We have not been plugged in to shore power since NYC two weeks ago but this really should not be an issue if we monitor and control our usage. However, between Bob's kick ass-hot running-electron sucking lap top cranking during his work days, and with frequent bursts of amps sucked up by the refrigerator, the alternator of the diesel is just not sufficient. (Not to mention our two other lap tops, two phones, iPad, etc.) For any sort of serious cruising in our future, in addition to learning to live with less power, we will definitely need to supplement at least with solar (and perhaps also wind). Needing shore power will not work both for accessibility and expense.
|The 116.2 VAC input and a proper charger made our batteries feel oh so much better.|